The Boland Line was just one of the interurban lines to traverse the Grass Lake area and serve the early 1900’s community to major urban areas for shopping, catching larger train lines to larger cities and otherwise set about on adventures that could only be imagined in those years.
The Michigan United Railway line was formed out of a joint effort between W. A. Boland and W.A. Foote, often traveling similar routes and occasionally crossing lines with the Detroit United Railway. However, the Michigan United Line also made a trip to the casino on Wolf Lake, for more daring gamblers and recreation seekers, keeping it popular for a few more years.
The building housing the museum is partially on a property that housed a power house for the interurban lines. Ultimately evolving as an auto dealership, repair shop, a farm implement dealership, a body shop, and a repair shop again, the building is the perfect place to locate the museum since the two key lines followed the Michigan Avenue route.
Many of the artifacts on display in the museum point to a different time in history. The original bicycle provided by Alex Pollock, of Chelsea, was manufactured by the Star before the name became synonymous with the automobile company. As well, the Museum was once a dealership for Star Automobiles. Subsequently, the tracks of history are many and varied at the Lost Railway Museum.